Monday, July 12, 2010

ESPANA - KOMBE LA DUNIA

Who watched the World Cup Final yesterday?! I won't make too big of assumptions and assume that you all watched it because America doesn't seem to care about the World Cup, espcially when America is no longer in the running. But I have had the time of my life following the World Cup games this past month while here in Tanzania. There are plenty of teams I was cheering for (South Africa, Ghana, USA, Italy etc) but I am more than happy that Spain made it to the final two. Better Spain than Germany, thats for sure.

To watch the game the majority of us, the students, went to that same bar as before in downtown Arusha. It quickly filled up with wazungu and Africans, many sporting the appropriate jerseys or team colors (who knew there were so many Dutch and Spanish people in East Africa...where did they come from?). It was an intense game to watch, going into the 30 minute overtime and what seemed like more than half the players with yellow cards. In the last five minutes when I was sure it was going to go to penalty kicks and it was gonna be the Ghana/Uruguay game all over again (I almost cried - especially seeing the Ghana players crying) but then Spain SCORED! The place went crazy, minus the Holland fans of course. As soon as the game ended Bob Marley's "One Love" came on the loud bar speakers and a dance party broke up. What an awesome time. I'm a true soccer convert now...Viva espana!

No comments:

Post a Comment